
According to The
American Kennel Club the most popular dogs in America are Labs. We have a lab and he's 4 1/2 years old. Since our new house didn't (and still doesn't) have a fence he ended up becoming an inside dog this past year. For the most part this has been fine. But there are a few things he does that make me crazy. I can't stand it when he sneaks in our bedroom at night to sleep - he snores, licks himself very loudly and always ends up on the extra pillows from the bed I throw on the floor when I sleep. He also loves to eat people food especially the kids food. If we don't pay attention he will sit with his head inches from Claire while she eats and she will take a bite of food then hand him a bite a food. When she decides she's finished eating she will just take her plate/bowl and dump it on the floor next to her for him. What a horrible habit. We have put a stop to this by not letting Shadow in the room while we eat. However, the biggest problem we have right now is that he will eat food off the table, counter, trash, people's rooms, etc. He actually ate 3 loaves of bread out of Todd's mom's duffel bag last time she came to visit (unzipped it and everything), he ate 3 of our Christmas plates, and ate Tayson's b-day cake last year off the counter before I even frosted it. The dog is crazy. Last night I woke up in the middle of night to him doing something in the living room ... I knew he was up to no good by the sound. So Todd and I went out in the front room and the pantry wasn't shut before bed so he got into the trash can and had pulled most of it out licked it clean and tore it apart on the living room floor. UGH! I love the dog....but it is getting to be too much. If any of you have any great ideas please let us know so we don't end up kicking him out of the family. :)
3 comments:
Get a fence!
he sounds like chase when i let chase roam around in the kitchen haha :) hey i need your number! chase applied to NuSkin and I want you to put in a good word :)
Our lab has a similar love of people food & I feel like I've been through all of this before.
Here's what I've done:
- Trash can with a lid. After Dylan made many messes trying to dig through the trash can, I bought a stainless steel one with a lid. I haven't had any problems since.
- Dylan now sleeps on his bed in the laundry room. I can close the door and keep him there throughout the night without having to wonder what he's doing. He used to sleep right by my side of the bed but just like Shadow, he made too many noises etc. and eventually I just couldn't handle it anymore. He seems to like the laundry room now.
- I also keep him out of the kitchen when we eat. Whenever I go anywhere, I have to make sure that there isn't any food (bread etc.) out on the counters or table that he could get to.
Hang in there, labs are certainly high maintenance, but they're so sweet too. ( : Good luck.
Post a Comment