Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I've been Tagged....


OK I got tagged by Kristine so here goes. This would be better with a little input from Todd....so I'll see if I can get him to add his comments to the post.

1. Where did you meet your husband? We met at work (Nu Skin). A mutual friend told Todd he should ask me out so he did. I had a very strict rule that I NEVER dated anyone at work. Breakups weren't really my specialty and usually I went with avoidance instead of dealing with issues so work relationships weren't much of an option. I mean I didn't want to find a new job just to avoid some guy. Luckily for Todd I made an exception.

2. First thing said. I have no idea. Most of our early "courting" was over instant messenger. That way we could say anything and not feel or look stupid. Plus we would end up chatting all day at work - it was a pretty smart way to go now that I look back.


3. First date. The first time we actually went out and Todd paid was a lunch date. To keep it safe of course. We went to a Japanese restaurant that Todd picked and he didn't eat anything because he doesn't like any form of Asian food. Then a couple days later we went out on what I consider our first official date. One of Todd's friends was in a band that was playing at UVSC and he wanted to go see them. I told him I couldn't go out until after step aerobics which ended at 6:45 pm. His car (the 1972 Plymouth Fury) was broken down at the time so I had to drive. So I told the aerobics teacher I would be leaving step a few minutes early for a date (which she still remembers and reminds me about all the time ... how she "let" me leave to go on a date with my husband) I went home, showered, got ready, went a picked up Todd then we were off to the concert. Apparently the concert started at 7:00 (which I really didn't know until we got there) and we showed up around 7:45 for the last 2 songs (oops). Then we went out to eat at Chevy's (where we have never been since).


3. First kiss. That would have been the night after our first "official" date. What can I say...why date unless you know you're attracted? I will say that Todd kissed me first although I didn't make it hard for him. :)

4. How long did you date? Not very long. I swore I would NEVER be one of those BYU girls who met someone and got engaged and married fast. Well I had to eat those words after meeting Todd. We met in the summer of 1999, were engaged in November of 1999 and married December 21, 1999. So really we dated a few months and were engaged even less. Oh well, when you know you know.


5. Where did you get engaged? Funny story. Todd and I had tickets to fly to California for the weekend and I was really busy at work that week. So I kept trying to postpone our trip. (I mean he told me he didn't have a ring yet ... and I believed him so what was the big deal?) Apparently, everyone on my team and my boss knew so they forced me to go and changed deadlines for me so I wouldn't stress. By the time we got in and settled I was tired. Todd wanted to go to the beach and walk around but I wasn't really in the mood so I said no. He kept pressuring me saying how much he wanted to go so I told him to go by himself. Then he kept making a big deal about it and made me feel guilty so I went but not happily. The entire drive to the beach and while walking on the beach I was frumpy and had my arms crossed and was just downright mean. Then he drops to his knee and asks me to marry him. Boy did I feel stupid! So of course I said yes and took the ring then the beach patrol drove up and kicked us off the beach. But not before I could get a good look at my ring in their headlights. I'm still surprised to this day that Todd actually wanted to marry me after the way I was acting that night. He must have been too nervous to realize what a jerk I was being.


6. Where did you get married? In the Salt Lake City Temple. We had to be there at the crack of dawn, I think I left my apartment at like 6:00 am to get there on-time. I remember being so nervous right before the ceremony when it was just Todd and I. Then when we got in the sealing room I wasn't scared anymore and it was amazing. It was so nice to have both of our families there and a few of our friends with us.


7. How did the reception go? It was perfect. We had our reception at Thanksgiving Point which was all inclusive so that planning was very easy. Todd and I went down twice to meet with our wedding planners and picked colors, food, cake, flowers, music, the room, etc. Then at the reception the wedding planners were there taking care of us telling us when it was time to cut the cake, throw the bouquet, etc. They were even good enough to get me a Coke when I thought I might fall asleep on my feet talking to people. The funniest part of our reception was at the end my dad was gathering all our presents and putting them in his car for us and one of the presents was a gift basket that was for our wedding night. We went over to grab it before my dad loaded it up and he saw that there were bunny ears in the basket and put them on. Needless to say, those had to be thrown away after the image was burned into our memories. :) I have to thank my parents for being willing to give us a great reception .... I figured they didn't mind paying a little extra to finally get me married off. I don't think they ever thought it would happen.

8. Where did we go on our honeymoon? Because of when we got married (Dec. 21st) we did Christmas before our honeymoon. So we stayed at the Grand America in Salt Lake for 2 nights. The first night one of Todd's family friends called us at like midnight to ask us if we needed more pillows. We had just gotten room service (strawberry and cream waffles...yummy) so he actually thought it was legit and asked me if we needed more pillows which really cracked them up. The next day we had Christmas with my family then headed down to California to spend Christmas day with Todd's family. After Christmas we left on our official honeymoon. We drove up the PCH to Big Sur. Sadly I got very sick our entire honeymoon. I was so sick when we left Todd's house his grandma tried to get me to wear these huge blue blocker sunglasses - which I couldn't do. But I got a really bad inner ear infection so every motion made me sick and I threw up from the beautiful winding roads and when we went hiking (not pretty). For the most part I spent the week in bed sleeping. Todd was so happy when we got to a hotel with a Nintendo so he had something to do.

9. Do you have a song? Kind of. When we were dating/engaged I got to start listening to rap music since that is one of Todd's favorites. So we always said "What Y'all Want" by Eve and the Ruff Ryders was "our song". It's not romantic in any way but it still makes us smile and we call it our song.

So let's see I guess now I get to tag someone else....Kris, Kami (just to get you to update your blog) and Lacey. BTW...I feel like a true blogger now that I have been tagged. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for not tagging me!!! I loved reading the post though. I knew nothing of the honeymoon and enjoyed the good laugh.

Porters said...

Wow - that brought back a flood of memories...so glad I was able to be there for part of the fun stuff. Always good to think back. Can you believe it's been 8 years???