Monday, February 2, 2009

The Circus


Tonight for FHE I took the kids to the circus. The show was at 4:00 so Todd couldn't come because he had to work. So off I went with the 4 kiddos to the circus. We met my parents, Heidi, Steve and Jeannie there. We had a blast and somehow Sophie even managed to get in a 20 minute nap (I don't know how with all the noise).


So here are some things I wonder about the circus...
  1. Is it a job requirement that you must be under 5' 1 to work in the circus?
  2. How do you become circus talent? Is it something that you just learn? Is it a family skill passed down from generation to generation? Do you just stop and think one day....it would be fun to do the trapeze or ride on an elephant or hula hoop.
  3. Why is it necessary to wear as few clothes as possible when flying high in the air at a circus which is targeted to children? I mean I know they have on a full flesh colored body suit, but why?
  4. Did you know that the "Amazing Sasha" is a contortionist, hula hooper, face painter elephant rider and amazing assistant all in the same 2 hour circus?
  5. Why do you need to put a half dressed lady with a huge set of feather wings on the elephant? Isn't an elephant cool enough on it's own?
  6. Why does the circus bring out the craziest people in the entire city of Provo?

5 comments:

Jackee said...

We went at 7:30 and Jaxon looked all over for Tayson because he just knew he was going to be there. Adam asked why there were young kids in leather jackets helping out. I told him when you're in a traveling circus, the whole family has to travel and you all work together. At least I assume that's the way it is...

C Schultz said...

When we went last year, I remember wondering about the barely clothed women as well. That's just a "wardrobe malfunction" waiting to happen. I remember looking over at Eric a few times to see what he was looking at LOL!

Deanna said...

The circus, any little "booth-like" function brings out the strangest people in the valley!! Of course, it's not my family that's strange...

Emily said...

I was in a circus for six years when I was a kid, so I'll see if I can answer a few of your questions...

1. It's not a requirement to be short, but it does seem to be easier to do most of the tricks. Many acts can only be done if you're within a certain height range because of the apparatus. I was actually too tall for one act, but too short for another; go figure.

2. Circus talent comes from many places - there are several people from my circus that are now performing professionally. We were an amateur circus started by Barnum & Bailey years ago when our town was one of their winter homes. There are also many countries where it's a cultural thing. During the Olympics they did a special on how big it is to do that kind of stuff in China. It's big in the Slavic countries too. You'd also be surprised at how many amateur circuses exist out there. They have competitions and everything.

3. I wish I knew the answer to this one. We wore more clothes than the pro's, but we were kids too. Leotards are usually a must so you can do what you need to, but I agree that they don't need to be flesh colored and should be more modest.

5. Good question. Maybe the circus reminds us of beings kids so we revert to our childhood? LOL.

Jen said...

Loved your comments...we also went on Saturday night and I had all the same thoughts and concerns. I also would like to add one.
How do you practice the motorcycles in the globe-thing...you just all get in there, say a prayer, close your eyes, and hope your head is not smashed by a rubber tire going 50 miles an hour. Deep thoughts!