Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Dentist


Last week at my cleaning my dentist noticed that one of my old silver fillings had a crack in it so it was time to replace it.  When he got in there it was quite a bit deeper than he thought - you could see the nerve.  He put in a pulp cap then a new filling and off I went.  Then several days later my tooth started hurting and I could taste blood in my mouth so I went back in.  My bite was a tiny bit off which caused bruising, swelling, something got stuck in the space created from the swelling...it was a big mess.  So he gave me a strong anti-inflammatory w/a mild steroid to get things back to normal.  It was a 6 day prescription and by day 3 I wasn't feeling so hot.  My gut hurt so bad I just wanted to lay in bed in fetal position and I was having hot flashes.  Luckily George was in town so he told me to go off the pills since the side effects were so bad and my tooth wasn't hurting anymore so there was no need to finish it off.  The next day my gut started to feel better but then I starting feeling anxious and felt like I was going to have a panic attack at the smallest things. I guess I now know that steroids are not in my future.  

On a side note:  this was the first time I've ever had them give me laughing gas - it seemed to help ease my mind during the work.  But I felt a little loopy for a while after so I'm not sure if I'll do it again.  I guess it depends on the amount of dental work I'm having done.

No comments: