Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Screw

This morning I got in my car after our run (it was the last one in our training .... 10 miles!) and I had a v-mail from Todd. This is what it said...
"Hey Kath, call me when you get this or come home fast Claire put something up her nose and I think I need to take her to the doctor so come home fast."
I wasn't sure at this point if I should laugh or be worried so I called then hurried home. Claire spilt all of Todd's computer screws and somehow one ended up lodged way up her right nostril. My mom and dad got to our house just a few minutes after I did and my mom suggested we try to "blow it out" first. You can tell she had 10 kids...and that Danny loved to put things up noses (and not always his own!) So we plugged the other nostril opened her mouth and I blew in it as hard as I could (similar to CPR) - nothing but snot came out both times we tried. My parents took Tayson to soccer and they took Luke too so we could take a quick trip to the InstaCare with the girls.

2 hours (oh how I hate the Insta Care on a Saturday) after we got there we finally got in to see the doc and she couldn't find the screw in Claire's nose. Todd looked through the fancy light contraption and didn't see it anymore either. So off they went to get x-rays. Another half hour past and then we found out the screw was gone....just gone. It wasn't in her nose or anywhere in the 3 x-rays she got. We asked Claire if she knew where the screw was but she didn't...so it's just missing and we have no idea how it came out. But we both saw it up her nose so we know it was there. What a long day.



A few side notes:
  1. When the doctor asked Claire what her name was she said "Claire Bear". She honestly thinks that's her full name and it is HILARIOUS to me.
  2. The doctor told us that if she is "one of those kids" who likes to put stuff up her nose a few tips. One was the blow trick and the other was that sometimes kids will put stuff like paper up their nose and it will start to get all nasty and smell. So she said if our kids ever just really smell bad and a bath doesn't help that we should get their nose checked for foreign objects. Funny but good stuff to know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it went so far up that it went down her throat and she swallowed it! It will just come out the other end. (Trust me...I know all about this!) =)

And I'm with ya on the Urgent Care on weekends thing. I took Tyler to the Urgent Care on a Sunday last month for a strep test. They got scared about his breathing and called AN AMBLUANCE!! He was totally fine, and I was really mad about the whole thing. Taught me a really good lesson: don't take my baby to the urgent care! =)

amyminette said...

Just last night at dinner Wyatt put a piece of corn up each nostril. Luckily they came out when we blew his nose. This came right after he put grapes in his ears and said they were earplugs.

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

What a blast of a day. Probably good that we didn't go out that night. Poor Claire. I wonder where the heck that screw went. When we get back from Disney World we HAVE to go do something. We also need to start our little book club/dinner thing again, unless of course you guys have been doing it without me which in that case you are all in big trouble. I've read like 5 books in the last month so I can even pick one if we want. Anyway hopefully Claire is not "one of those kids."

Deanna said...

I remember my cousin getting a buttin up her nose. Trauma!!