Sunday, March 15, 2009

Draper Temple

Yesterday we took the kids to the Draper Temple open house. I was so excited for a wonderful family event and a chance to teach my kids about temples and feeling the spirit. The temple was gorgeous and I loved feeling the spirit there. However, here is what my kids got out of the trip.

  • Every time we went into a new room or hall the boys would say "1...2...3...4" as they pointed to pictures of Christ on the walls then they were keeping track of who could find the most pictures of him.
  • As we walked by the baptismal font Luke said "mom it's a pool. Can I get in?" So I explained that it is where we do baptisms and they both said they wanted to get baptized in the temple. So I told them we don't get baptized there unless we're doing temple work. That didn't go over very well. We'll deal with this when they get older.
  • In the sealing room they were talking about eternal families and I whispered to Claire that her daddy and I got married in a room just like that and she said in a rather loud voice "mama I'm going to marry you here too"
  • When we walked into the Celestial room I was asking Tayson if he could feel the spirit and that this was similar to Heaven and I over heard Luke say "Dad, look it's a big shiny rocket" about the chandelier.
  • On the bus ride over they told us that there would be cookies at the end - so they whole time the kids kept asking if it was over yet and if we could have cookies.
  • Then as we were leaving and they could see the temple from the bus Tayson said "Mom, why is Moroni holding a gun?"
It looks like we'll be having a few Family Home Evenings on the temple.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

THe gun is the best part.

Amy said...

I love it! Ethan wanted to know if the water was warm and asked if he could feel it. And my kids wanted the cookies too. Why do they have to mention that upfront? Couldn't it just be a great surprise at the end?