Sunday, March 22, 2009

Moab Half Marathon

It's done. Thank goodness.

Before the Race
Leigh Anne, Traci, Gretchen and I
on the bus getting shuttled 13.1 miles up the canyon



Leigh Anne, Gretchen, Traci and I
waiting for the race to start


We got up to the top of the canyon and waited over 2 hours before the race started. It was FREEZING cold. We walked around to keep warm, ate our banana's and protein bars, peed multiple times, stretched, tied and retied our shoes (ok only Gretchen did that) and got excited to race.

The Race
Before I knew it we were lined up with about 4000 other runners we moved to the front 1/4 of the runners to start and it only took us 2 minutes to get over the starting line after the race started. I felt good at the start and it was a lot warmer already. Within the first 2 miles I was already down to my tank top. We ran at a good pace (8:30 - 8:40 average) for the first 8 miles. Then I totally felt it hit me...I was totally bonking! I hung on for 2 1/2 more miles as best I could but by 10 1/2 miles it was all I could do to just put one foot in front of the other. I watched Traci and Gretchen get further ahead but knew at this point I just needed to run my race or I would either puke or have to walk. So I slowed it down for the last 2 miles and just kept telling myself over and over - "one step at a time" and "just put one foot in front of the other". I was sooooo happy when I saw the finish line but had absolutely nothing left to give so I just kept moving at the pace I was going. No sprinting it in for me this time.

Somehow, I made my goal of under 2 hours (1:58). I honestly thought I might pass out or puke right after I crossed the finish line I had to keep walking or I knew it would hit me. It took me about 2 hours before I felt even remotely normal again and by that time we were in the car on our way home and already talking about our next adventures.


working as hard as I could to just finish

After the Race
Don't we look happy that it's over?




and now it's time to train for Little Red Riding Hood in June.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Seriously, runners are my heros. I don't know how you/they do it. I'm in awe. Way to go!

Maria said...

You are my hero way to go! I have done a half before, but my time was no where near yours!! YOU ROCK!

Amy said...

You are so awesome! I would have been ready to puke after two miles. You are my hero! Keep on runnin'!

BTW- Katelyn was talking all day yesterday about Claire Bear in her nursery. I need to get them together for a playday. Maybe later this week?

Jackee said...

Way to go! You are awesome. I think I'll stick to 3 miles a day on my treadmill.

Kami Schultz said...

Are you wearing the same outfit in both your half marathons? Maybe that should become a tradition! :)

That's a pretty awesome finish time for feeling so awful. You're amazing!!

amyminette said...

Congratulations!

Traci said...

Your life would suck without me!! Love ya girl!

Seat Family said...

You are super woman! Such an inspiration :)