Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Flashback

It has been really cold this past week (and I mean really cold... -2 a few mornings when I've gotten up). The other day when I was freezing in my car driving home from work I remembered my first Christmas driving home from BYU. My freshman year here there were 4 of us attending BYU (George, Steve, Sherry and I). They all lived at the Raintree apartments and I was in the dorms so the night before we went home I slept at Sherry's apartment so we could leave early. It was about a 24 hour drive back then when the speed limit was 55 mph and we wanted to drive straight through. So Sherry and I stayed up almost all night then we left early in the morning and the boys were in the front driving while Sherry and I slept in the backseat of the Chevy Sprint (one of the smallest cars ever made). Then at night the boys slept and it was our turn to drive. Since I was "too young" they wouldn't let me drive. I remember being mad at the time - now I will do anything to get out of a driving shift on a long trip.

The most memorable part of the trip though was that it was soooooo cold. The car was never warm enough to take off our coats and the windows were icy the whole drive home. We had the defrost on high the whole way and it still didn't get the back windows or the edges of the front windshield. And then at home that year we had to use the blow dryer to get the door open one day. I also remember sleeping 14 hours straight 2 days in a row when I got home (I guess I played a little too much at school instead of sleeping).

ah the memories.....

No comments: