Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Equality in Parenting

This morning was a HUGE morning for us. Luke woke up dry so I hurried and put him on the potty - we sat there for a full 10 minutes and nothing. So I let him get off for a few minutes and had to go in the other room for a few minutes so he wouldn't see how upset and disappointed I was in myself for not being able to potty train him. Then I stuck him back on the potty with a full glass of his favorite drink (strawberry milk) and told him he had to drink the whole thing before he could get off. He wouldn't even sip it (I'm sure because his bladder was way too full) finally he let go and went and trust me he went and went and went. I've never seen a kid with such a big bladder! Then I got Claire up and she sat on the potty and went too. What a great morning. The funny part however is the reactions to their successes. They both got "special" stickers on their potty charts and I told them how proud I was of them. Then Luke got to pick any toy he wanted and I just kept telling him how proud I was of him. My mom was over since she is watching the kids this week and just laughed at how much more praise Luke was getting than Claire and she said "isn't it hard to have equality in parenting?" It made me laugh and think about the truth of it and how many times when I was little I would tell my parents "that's not fair...so-in-so got to do this and I don't." We live and we learn.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

okay that picture of your 3 kids is adorable. did you take it? and yeah for luke!!!

Unknown said...

WOW...I am happy for your success. My life has been great for two years now... NO DIAPERS!

Equality in parenting...Because I was the middle child, I never heard of such a thing! :)

sandy said...

Good for Luke, but good for you for hanging in there!!!!