The first installment of flashback Friday's is here. This is going to be harder than I thought...there are so many pictures and so many memories to relive and document. I've lived a fun filled life.
A big part of my childhood was dancing. I started dance when I was 3 or 4 years old (my mom can't remember exactly. I'm the 4th child details are all gone at this point). I danced until I was 20 years old and taught dance at "Anne for Dance" from the time I was 15 years old in order to pay for costumes and competitions. All through High School I danced 5 days a week - every night except Friday and on Saturday mornings. My favorite's were jazz, tap, kick line and lyrical but I also did ballet and pointe. Some of my most memorable times dancing were when I was 15 and we danced on the Sammy Davis Jr telethon in St. Louis (I even met him) and when we went to a nationals competition in Myrtle Beach (my senior year). I loved dancing and now I can't wait to put Claire in dance lessons. Here are some fun pictures of a few different dance events.
Getting ready for my very first recital. We did a number to "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz.
This is right after my performance
This was in 1985 - notice the sweet feathered front and long back in my hair (trust me it was cool in Missouri back then). Another sure sign of the 80's in this photo if you look very closely half way up my right calf you can see I have a sweet anklet underneath my tights
This was the height of my dance career. In 1990 at the end of my senior year I competed and won a Tremaine Dance Scholarship (just to one of his Conventions not college or anything important). It was such a great feeling and a month after this I left for Paris for 4 months and only danced on and off for the next 3 years before I stopped completely, unless you count dance clubs during collegeIsn't my mom so cute in this picture.
4 comments:
Okay, if this isn't the cutest thing ever, I don't know what is! Those pictures crack me up...that is so fun that you have them! No wonder you were so good at dance, your legs were (and still are) a mile long! Very fun, thanks for sharing! :-)
Traci
those are awesome pictures, you have the longest legs in the world. I need to have your dad scan some of my old pictures, didn't you say it was his new favorite past time?
And, you didn't mention Sammy Davis Jr in your "famous post".
Your mom IS so cute...I can only hope to age as gracefully as she has.
I can't dance, but appreciate a good dancer, even if it was only good for trips to the Ivy Tower...even if all I did was dance in the mosh pit room...now, there's a flashback for you...I can still here those Red Hot Chili Peppers ringing in my head.
These are the greatest pictures ever. I would be way to embarrased to show off my old dance pictures. :)
Post a Comment